Traveling to Hannover
Hannover is easily reachable by plane – there are regular flights by Lufthansa, Swiss, AirFrance or KLM between major European cities (London, Paris, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Munich, Zürich, Bruxelles, Vienna, Moscow, Istanbul, …) and Hannover Airport.
In addition, Hannover is the centre of the German Railway system, with good and fast connections in all directions. The airports of Frankfurt and Düsseldorf are directly connected by train with Hannover.
The city centre is easily reachable from the airport. Every half an hour there is a train from the airport to the city centre – travel time about 25 minutes. In addition, taxis are waiting in front of the airport.
Due to clever planning, traffic to and from and within Hannover is surprisingly well-organized and mostly free of traffic jams. Thanks to the investments during the Expo 2000, the metro connections in Hannover are excellent and up-to-date.
Traveling in Hannover
Detailed information about the public transport can be found on the homepage of the Greater Hannover Transport Association (GVH).
From the Airport to Hannover main station
- Go to the train station located in Terminal C
- Board the S5 towards “Weetzen”, the S5 towards “Paderborn HBF” or the S5 towards “Hannover HBF”
- After a drive of approximately 15 minutes you will reach Hannover Main Station (“Hannover Hauptbahnhof”) where you have to get off the train
- Follow the white U on the blue background to reach the subway station
Taxi from the airport to the city center cost approx. 26-28 EUR.
From Hannover Main station to Courtyard Marriott
- For traveling from/to Hannover Airport you need to buy a ticket for 2 zones which costs 3,30 EUR. If you buy the ticket at the airport or at the main station, don’t forget to validate it at the blue boxes located at the tracks.
- For traveling within the city center you can buy single tickets for 2,60 EUR. If you plan to do two or more rides a day ticket for 5,00 EUR is cheaper.
Traveling after ICWSM'16
Web Science 2016 in Hannover, Germany is taking place soon after the International AAAI Conference on Web and Social Media (ICWSM) 2016 , May 17th-20th, in Cologne, Germany.
For the benefit of people attending both conferences, we provide tips for traveling from ICWSM'16 in Cologne to Web Science 2016 in Hannover, Germany.
Traveling by Train
There are frequent trains from Köln Hbf (Cologne central station) to Hannover Hbf.
Tickets can be purchased here.